The holidays are a time for family and friends to come together from near and far. Many of us will fly or use pubic transportation to arrive at our holiday destinations, but most people will be spending time hitting the road and driving home. Which means a greater chance of car accidents. Special thanks to our friends at Teen Driving Solutions School for sharing the following tips to help keep you safe this holiday season!
[ct id="ct_Address_text_c29d" property="title | description | value"]
Teen Driving Solutions School’s Tips for Safe Holiday Travel
- Plan out your drive before getting in the car so you’re familiar with the route and ready for both the expected and unexpected.
- Clear your mind of everything you’re planning to do once you reach your destination. With so many events over the holidays, it’s easy to focus more on your destination than traveling safely. Whatever is happening at your destination is irrelevant if you don’t make it.
- Prepare yourself before starting the car by setting your seat position and mirrors, and buckling your seat belt.
- Drive with your full attention, and focus on the task at hand.
- Ignore your phone by putting it out of sight and reach until you reach your destination. If you need to let family know you’re running late, pull over or have a passenger handle the communication.
- Leave for your destination with plenty of extra time so you can remain calm even if you get lost or face heavy traffic.
- Be prepared with toll money, planned fuel and/or hotel stops, and any other supplies you might need for your trip before you leave.
- Check your car’s oil, coolant, and windshield washer fluid levels, as well as your tire pressure (including your spare!) before you set off on your drive.
- Avoid eating a large meal – especially turkey – before setting off on a long drive to avoid getting sleepy behind the wheel.
- Play “What If” on your drive (include your passengers) to prepare for emergency avoidance maneuvers. Such as “What if that big truck suddenly moved into our lane? What would you do? Where would you go?”
[ct id="ct_Phone_text_621b" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Website_text_24ef" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Email_text_4352" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Hours_textarea_25b3" property="title | description | value"]