The following is a press release from The Not So Normal 5K + Weekend
Inaugural Fundraising Weekend Headlined By Fun Run and Country Concert Aims to Get Families Active, Giving Back and Engaged in the Community
Carrboro, North Carolina – August, 2014 – The Not So Normal 5K + Weekend, a three-day celebration of community and philanthropy, will kickoff Sept. 12 and introduce an extraordinary lineup of activities to Carrboro and Chapel Hill, all culminating with a festive 5K race and fun-loving country music concert on Sunday, Sept. 14. From date nights for parents to babysitting and pajama parties for the kids, there will be a variety of events for the community to not only enjoy, but also help raise money for deserving charities. The best part, unlike other races, 100 percent of proceeds from all 5K registration fees go directly to nonprofits.
True to the event’s name, founder Jay Radford created the program to do something a little different. The idea came from feeling isolated as a stay-at-home dad, and finding an outlet contributing to a local mommy blog, Mom in Chapel Hill beginning in 2013. He has since become the owner and primary voice of the blog – yes, Mom in Chapel Hill is now a dad. Radford went on to combine blogging with a newfound passion for running and a long-time dedication to giving back, solely concepting, planning and setting in motion this year’s first annual Not So Normal 5K + Weekend.
“It will be fun, it will be memorable, it will benefit our community and it will be anything but predictable,” said Radford. “Community members can take part in any or all of the activities as their schedules allow. So register to run or walk our race, enjoy the concert, take advantage of local restaurant discounts, and otherwise come celebrate our vibrant community together at the first annual Not So Normal 5K + Weekend!”
Family-friendly events include:
- Friday and Saturday Night (Sept. 12 and 13): Kids’ parties each night, babysitting options, restaurant specials, comedy shows, outdoor movie and a Carrboro Art Walk “Meet the Merchants.” Learn more about each event and the nonprofit beneficiaries at: http://www.notsonormal5k.com/weekend-events/.
- Sunday Morning (Sept. 14):
- The Not So Normal 5K race…well, not quite 5K. The course is shortened to 2.95 miles to make it flatter and a little easier. Why? Because this is not normal, it is extraordinary. Active families from Greensboro to Fayetteville and beyond will run or walk this fun run, and strollers are welcome on the course. Registration is just $25 and 100 percent of the proceeds go directly to charity. Participants are also asked to bring one book for Book Harvest and/or two canned goods for local food distribution organizations, TABLE and PORCH.
- Kids’ races, obstacles, face painting and tons of family-fun activities. Children 8 and under are free!
- Sunday Night (Sept. 14): Frankie Ballard Live Presented by 94.7 QDR and The Not So Normal 5K + Weekend. Hosted at University Mall in Chapel Hill, the outdoor concert will feature rising country music star Frankie Ballard, and opening acts Casey Jamerson, Stereosparks and The BuzzTown Band, and DSI Comedy Theater getting the crowd ready to rock. The concert benefits The ArtsCenter, NC Children’s Promise and Kidzu Children’s Museum. Tickets are $9.47 and can be purchased online at: http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/venueSearch.jsp?venue_id=10555.
This is the first-ever Not So Normal 5K + Weekend, and it is already planned to expand each year with the goal of uniting the vibrant Carrboro and Chapel Hill communities. Additional details and even more events taking place throughout the weekend will be announced in the coming weeks.
About The Not So Normal 5K + Weekend
The Not So Normal 5K + Weekend, presented by Mom in Chapel Hill, is a three-day celebration of community and philanthropy – with a little music and exercise thrown in! Headlined by the nearly 5K race/walk Sunday morning and the Frankie Ballard Live Concert Presented by 94.7 QDR and The Not So Normal 5K + Weekend Sunday night, guests can expect the unexpected. Concepted and brought to life by founder Jay Radford, the inaugural events will take place Sept. 12-14, 2014 in Carrboro and Chapel Hill, North Carolina, with funds benefiting local nonprofits. It’s anything but average! A full weekend of fundraising for local nonprofits, enjoying time in your community and a great 5k. Learn more at http://www.notsonormal5k.com.
###[ct id="ct_Address_text_c29d" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Phone_text_621b" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Website_text_24ef" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Email_text_4352" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Hours_textarea_25b3" property="title | description | value"]