It’s National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month which means it’s time to hit up your local farmer’s market or grocery store and celebrate all the delicious items popping up from local farms this summer. Take a moment to think about everything you ate this past weekend – Did you eat at a restaurant or order take out? Did you pick up a quick meal at a fast food joint? If you could sit down and write out all of the individual ingredients used to make the meals you ate would you be able to list them all?
Challenge Yourself: For one week eat only meals and snacks you make yourself or can pronounce all the ingredients to. Here are some tips to help you throughout your challenge:
- When grocery shopping aim to fill your cart with items found along the perimeter of the store. Generally your fresh produce, dairy and other perishable items will be on the outskirts of the store due to a need for refrigeration.
- Frozen/canned fruits and veggies are great alternatives to buying fresh but be sure to check the label for any added chemicals, salt or sweeteners.
- Use fresh items first – you spent money on them so don’t let them spoil! Save the frozen/canned items to use later in the week.
- Get creative! Jazz up your meal with fresh herbs or veggies you’ve been wanting to try. Toss some sliced strawberries and chopped basil in with a spinach salad or grill marinated eggplant as a delicious side to your main dish. The options are endless!
- Are you a snacker? While making your breakfast slice up an apple, pear or peach and keep in a sandwich bag to nosh on during the day.
You will be surprised to find that it’s both easy and (often times) money saving to simplify your eating habits. Websites like Fruits & Veggies More Matters and Eat Well Guide are great for recipe ideas and even list some restaurants, bakeries and grocery stores that are local, sustainable and organic-minded.
We want to know what dishes you create so submit pics of your meals along with a summary of the recipe and you could be featured in our magazine![ct id="ct_Address_text_c29d" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Phone_text_621b" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Website_text_24ef" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Email_text_4352" property="title | description | value"]
[ct id="ct_Hours_textarea_25b3" property="title | description | value"]